Monday, January 14, 2008

Introduction

My name is Amanda. I am from Fort Worth, TX, and I am currently a freshman at TCU. I have lived in Fort Worth my entire life, and I always imagined myself being a TCU Horned Frog. I plan on majoring in Business, but I am not yet sure what part of the Business School. I am interested in taking this writing course to improve my writing skills and to become more comfortable with writing. I want writing to be something enjoyable and influential in my life because I believe writing can be somewhat of a catharsis and help sort out one’s feelings. I am excited to improve and practice my writing throughout this course.
Currently, the writing I do other than that involved with school assignments is in e-mails, texting, and making notes. In these writings, I am usually pretty formal, and I do not use slang when I send text messages. This helps when I write because I am used to being formal when writing anything.
My high school English teachers had a great influence on the way I write. During my first year of high school, I learned a specific strategy to write with. The strategy is most important in the organization of writing. I am a very organized person, so I enjoyed this strategy of writing. To summarize the strategy, you begin each paragraph with a topic sentence, give several concrete details and commentary for each, and end the paragraph with a closing sentence that illustrates the same idea as the topic sentence. I do not use this strategy for everything that I write because a paragraph might revolve entirely around commentary. Another important strategy I learned for writing is to read everything you write out loud. Things sound different when read aloud, and this makes it easier to catch errors and sentences that simply don’t sound normal. It is very common for someone to silently read a paper he or she has written over and over, but to skip over mistakes that could have been realized if the work had been read aloud. Thanks to my high school teachers, I have a few strategies to help me in my writing.
For me, the hardest part of writing is getting started and coming up with strong ideas. When I have thoughts, it is often difficult for me to express the thoughts and feelings into words. Once I get started on the project, I can usually get going if the subject I am writing about is interesting or meaningful to me.
I have always enjoyed writing about personal experiences, and I think it is important because it allows the writer to reflect on his or her attitude toward the past, present and future. Writing is important in life because it helps me realize my true beliefs. For example, writing in a journal sometimes helps me clear out my mind and organize how I am feeling and how to act in the future. If I could change one thing about myself as a writer, I would like to come up with powerful ideas and examples faster.

I have read, understand, and agree to the terms of the course syllabus, which I see as a contract for our course.

1 comment:

April Patrick said...

It sounds like you already have some great writing strategies! I especially like to use the reading out loud test in any writing I do and will be asking everyone in class to do this in their writing. We'll definitely be working with lots of invention activities to help you refine skills in pre-writing and brainstorming. Hopefully, some of these strategies will help you improve in that area. I'm looking forward to having you in class! See you tomorrow!