Saturday, January 26, 2008

Paper Topic

After a long time of thinking, I determined that my paper topic would be the "mile swim" at Camp Longhorn. I had just finished fourth grade, and I was scared but excited about going to this camp for the first time. Some of my friends later told me that everyone had to swim a mile, and my mom did not think that was true. I have a strong fear of water, but I had heard nothing from the camp about the mile swim, so I decided to forget about what my friends had told me. Needless to say, I ended up swimming the mile in the lake. After I completed swimming the mile I felt surprised, and I felt a sense of success. I learned that we all have more strength and perseverance than we think. This is also when I began to believe in the theory that "everything happens for a reason." I almost decided not to go to camp when I had heard about the mile swim, I am so happy that I went and got through it. I learned lot from those two weeks away, and I cannot imagine if I had not gone. I went back to the camp for four years and swam the mile every time.
I chose this as my topic because it made me stronger and made me realize that if I put my mind to something, no matter how afraid I am, I can get through it. I have questions about how I felt before and after the swim, and as I write this personal essay I want to mentally go back to my childhood and remember everything I felt. This experience made me more of a determined person, and I want to discover everything that it taught me. 

3 comments:

Whitney W said...

I think that focusing on such a simple topic, like the mile swim, but one that had so much of an impact on your life will make your essay a good one. Maybe you should focus on what caused your fear of water as well. The topics you want to focus on centered around this mile swim are really good ones, I think you'll have a great essay.

Paige said...

I think your topic allows for a lot of good descriptions which is good. I would also go into alot of detail about how you felt when you learned for sure that you had to do the mile swim. Like, your emotions and who you talked to about it. I think its a good topic and it sounds like you learned alot from it too!

April Patrick said...

This sounds like a really interesting topic! And it appears you have questions to answer. Looking forward to reading your draft on Friday!